Pages

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Bread, Glorious Bread!

Did you sing the title to the melody of "Food, Glorious Food" from Ice Age like I did when writing this? If so, you and I are on the same page my friend. I love bread! Giving up bread was one of the hardest parts of deciding to go gluten free, as well as giving up pasta. I love pasta and bread. You might think my obsession with bread and pasta comes from my heritage. However, we are anything but Italian. No, my family just love carbs.

My first experience with gluten free bread was a nightmare. First, I had to go to the overpriced health food store and pay over $6 for it. Second, it was moldy within 3 days. And, finally, it was awful! I'm sort of happy it molded because it gave me an excuse to throw it away! What was so bad about it? It was so grainy it felt as though I was eating sand. Yep, that's pretty bad.

Thankfully, I did not give up my quest because I found some good bread! Today, I am bringing you Rudi's Gluten Free Multigrain Bread. In addition to multigrain they also offer OriginalCinnamon RaisinTortillas & WrapsCiabatta rollsPizza crustBuns & RollsStuffing and Cherry Almond Bars.


So how is this bread? It's good. It's bread. You can keep it frozen and toast it anytime you want to make a sandwich or let it thaw out. But let me warn you, if you left it thaw out there are a couple things you must know.

1. It will stale pretty quickly. But, if it does, just toast it. Toasting it takes out the staleness.

2. No frozen gluten free bread will mold quickly because it's not made with enriched flour. Enriched flour in all of it's over processedness does not stale because it's "enriched"

So, would you like to see my sandwich?


Yummy bread! It even has little flecks of grains and seeds just the way I like it. Something about them makes the bread feel more healthy, right?


Since going GF I have switched to the JIF Natural peanut butter with honey. According to Publix it's GF. I know there are more healthy alternatives out there, but, for now, this works!


And here's my yummy lunch. There's just something wholesome about a PB&J. And watermelon and lemonade? Yep, add those to the list of my favorite foods. I just can't get enough, especially when it's getting warm. Nothing like watermelon and lemonade in the Spring/Summer!

What types of GF bread are you enjoying? Is there a GF jam or peanut butter you think I should try? I would love to hear what GF foods you are loving! Until next time!

xoxo,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment